11.06.2008

Where does the time go? SERIOUSLY????

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but something must accelerate the rate at which time passes here on Saipan. Its like we go to church on Sunday, focus on relaxing in preparation for the week, and then all of the sudden its Thursday night. One thing that might cause this phenomenon is the constant weather. I think that the temperature has varied about ten degrees since we've been here. No leaves are changing color. No crops have been harvested. Unless you look at the calendar, you could swear its the middle of summer.
Anyway, a couple of big things have happened since the last post. First of all, Mark and Brittany and Jackie and I went to Managaha (a 7 to 10 acre island about a mile off the north west coast of Saipan) for a little island relaxation last Saturday. The ferry ride to Managaha is about fifteen minutes long, and its free for locals; two very good reasons to take advantage. We hung out on the beach and in the water for a couple of hours. We were all fairly tired, but it was just a great day to relax and take a nap (which Jackie and I both did in our hammock). The excitement of the day, for me, was snorkeling with a couple of black tipped reef sharks. They were maybe two to three feet long, and I came within fifteen or so feet of them. Not really a close encounter, but boy was my heart racing, especially when one of them turned around and headed toward me.
Jackie's birthday was the other exciting happening of late. Jackie and I took off for Garapan on Wednesday after work and tutoring. We stopped to do a little shopping before heading to the public docks to board a boat for Jackie's birthday present, a little dinner cruise. The boat held maybe 30 to 40 people (mostly Asian tourists).We headed west from Saipan toward the setting sun. We took some sweet pictures (which will soon be posted) and then headed in for a buffet style dinner. The food was really good, but the best part of the night had to be the entertainment. A Filipino man with a synthesizer was at the front of the boat and kept the cheesy love songs blasting for about half the night. Listening to "my heart will go on," and similarly corny songs from a man with a heavy accent was pretty entertaining to say the least. Then the show picked up a notch when three traditional island dancers came forward and performed for a couple of songs. Finally, to cap the night, the crew invited the crowd to come forward and join the dancing. Now first of all, dancing is difficult enough for me when I'm on solid ground and with people that I know. I was totally thrown off by the tourists and the rocking of the boat. None the less, Jackie got me to come out for a couple of dances. And, don't tell her, but I had a pretty great time. Jackie was definitely into it. So into it that she ended up dancing with some crazy tourist man and an adorable 3 year old Korean girl. Jackie was really going at it, even getting applause from the tourists and the crew of the boat. In fact, one of the servers said that Jackie was the "star of the show." Very true, and very very entertaining. The cruise only lasted about an hour and a half, but it felt like longer, in a good way, and was definitely worth it. Now just in case it takes us a bit to get the next blog out there, let me give you a rundown of what the next week or two holds for us. First, this weekend we have a couple of math competitions to supervise. Then, later on Saturday night, we and the Sawyers have been invited to the house of a couple from church. Sunday will no doubt include some sort of venture in to the jungle; one last chance to tire our selves out before the week. Then next weekend we have a weekend get-a-way with an organization that emphasizes bringing couples closer together. Should be fun.
Well, unless I'm forgetting something, I think that's all for now.
I'm gonna sign off and leave the photo-adding to Jackie, she's better at that stuff than I am.
We both hope that you all are doing well.
Thanks for checking up on us (and please keep us in your prayers)
Love,
J and J

No comments: