9.21.2008

Start of Week 7

So another week and weekend has come and gone.
It's been a busy week, with volleyball every night of the week, meetings after school, Ultimate Frisbee for Jake and grading and planning. Teaching is going really well for Jake. He loves the middle school age children and is really enjoying planning and teaching them Math and Science. He is in charge of the Math Counts and Math Courts competitions that the Junior High does and so that is starting up now and will keep him somewhat busy. He is very involved in Ultimate Frisbee which meets on Wednesday and Fridays. It's his new lacrosse since he can't play that! :)
Teaching for me is alright. I'm not sure how much I really enjoy it. I'm having a hard time wanting to wake up in the morning to go teach them. I was reminded the other night that we are in a ministry here and need to work for the ministry of God. But it is still hard. The kid's don't listen very well and I feel like I'm not doing enough to help them learn because I spent so much time trying to discipline and get them to listen. So besides the fact that they are the most adorable little children and I love them, it's really hard to teach here. So keep me in your prayers and I continue to learn and grow in how to become and be a better teacher.

Besides teaching, Jake and I are doing good. We are making new friends and growing in those relationships as well. Sometimes I have a hard time opening up to people when I know things will change in a year and people will be gone - so pray that the Lord will continue to work in both Jake and I in our new relationships here.
I have this new friend, Nina. She is a local Philippino woman and I love her to death. We go swimming every Tuesday and Thursday for about 45 minutes and this past Saturday we did Yoga together. She is a wonderful woman of Christ and a great friend and I'm so thankful to God for the fun times we can enjoy and the conversations we can share.

As for what's new...we are in the rainy season and so it continues to just rain and rain here. And will probably do so until November or December.
We are starting our 7th week of school already!! Can't believe how fast the time flies by. We are really enjoying the island, the church we are a part of and the people we continue to meet. We are truly blessed and highly favored, like our Pastor says. We thank God for Pastor Greg and his wife Sandy. They are two amazing people and are becoming mentors to Jake and I both in our faith but also in our marriage. God knew that we needed some people like them when we came here and here they are!
So many blessings - we are very happy. Thanks for all yoru prayers and love!!! We appreciate knowing we are in your thoughts. Continue to pray for us in teaching, but also as we learn to adjust to the culture and better yet, understand living in this culture.
We miss you all!!
Love, J & J

P.S. If you ever want to send a postcard or package or cards or anything here is our address:
Jake and Jackie Van Dam
500069 Beach Rd.
Saipan, MP
96950
- We LOVE getting mail!

No comments: